Tuesday 24 March 2009

Not Only The Gospel But Our Whole Lives

A Verse For Life

1 Thessalonians 2 v 8

“We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us.”

This is an incredible verse from Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians. For me it has been really wonderful to see the gospel of Jesus transforming people’s lives to clearly be living out the practical life this verse speak of.
I won’t name names on this blog but certain individuals throughout my Christian life have not only shared this verse with me but practically lived this verse out – they know who they are!

They have loved me so much that not only have they shared the gospel with me (which in itself is the most loving thing they perhaps could ever do) but they have also endeavored to share their whole lives with me.
Friendship, time, love, care, attention, laughs, tears, money, family, house, food, prayer, bible study, chill-axing etc.
The list literally could go on and on.

Whether these people are youth workers, student workers, co-workers in the gospel or just brilliant friends, these are the people who have helped steer me to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, and godly examples that I aspire to imitate.
These are people who that the reason these perhaps I will not remember exactly what they said to me but more who they were and how they shared ‘the gospel’ and ‘their lives’ with me.
A thought that has occurred to me is peoples lives have effected me, encouraged me and helped keep me running the race of testifying to the gospel of grace is that their lives are all about the gospel!
They are people who never leave the foot of the cross.
They seem to never forget the grace and love Jesus has shown to us.
They let Jesus transform them to become more like him.

They are people who are being constantly transformed by the gospel. As their lives are transformed by the gospel, the love of Jesus can be seen through them.

I hope and pray that my life would in some way reflect 1 Thessalonians 2 v 8 – that by the power of the Holy Spirit working in my life to transform me to be more like Christ, something which God promises will happen – that I may be one who not only seeks to share the gospel but also my whole life!

Certainly this is one of a few verses that I am currently praying my life to be based upon!

No comments:

Post a Comment